The mission of SciWorks is to promote literacy, life-long learning, and an appreciation of science by providing innovative, educational, and recreational experiences for all people through interactive programs and exhibits, collections, and an environmental park.
[links include=”4″][links include=”9″]
Quick Historical Facts About SciWorks
- In 1962, the concept of a nature and science facility was introduced to the Winston-Salem Recreation Commission by the Junior League.
- In 1964, The Nature Science Center opened its doors. Originally 4,000 square feet, visitors saw a small area for display of collections, the planetarium, a classroom, live animals, and offices.
- In 1974, relocation to SciWorks’ present site was achieved.
- In 1991, the Board of Directors revised the mission statement of the science center which resulted in the new name SciWorks, The Science Center and Environmental Park of Forsyth County, Inc.
- In 1992, the new building and Environmental Park opened.
For an in-depth history of SciWorks, please click here.